[Fwd: (ITS#4337) inserting a bdb instance]

Things like this really call for a hierarchical database config mechanism. Then we could get rid of the clumsy glue/subordinate syntax and just put databases where they're supposed to go, explicitly. Something like:

   dn: olcDatabase={0}frontend,cn=config

   dn: olcDatabase={0}bdb,olcDatabase={0}frontend,cn=config
   olcSuffix: dc=example,dc=com

dn: olcDatabase={0}bdb,olcDatabase={0}bdb,olcDatabase={0}frontend,cn=config
olcSuffix: ou=part1,dc=example,dc=com

dn: olcDatabase={1}bdb,olcDatabase={0}bdb,olcDatabase={0}frontend,cn=config
olcSuffix: ou=part2,dc=example,dc=com

Of course, the above is just ugly.

If we restricted all databases to have a unique single suffix, we could just use the suffix DNs:

   dn: dc=example,dc=com,ou=Databases,cn=config

   dn: ou=part1,dc=example,dc=com,ou=Databases,cn=config

   dn: ou=part2,dc=example,dc=com,ou=Databases,cn=config

dn: cn=deeply nested,ou=container,dc=example,dc=com,ou=Databases,cn=config

I would have preferred this approach originally (we used something similar in Connexitor EMS) but the restrictions are a bit of a problem.

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: (ITS#4337) inserting a bdb instance Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:50:15 GMT From: Frank.Meisschaert@UGent.be To: openldap-its@OpenLDAP.org

Hello,

I have the following configuration:

 dn: olcDatabase={2}bdb,cn=config
 olcSuffix: ou=applications,dc=UGent,dc=be

 dn: olcDatabase={3}bdb,cn=config
 olcSuffix: ou=groups,dc=UGent,dc=be

 dn: olcDatabase={4}bdb,cn=config
 olcSuffix: dc=UGent,dc=be

Now I want to add a new database serving a new tree without stopping the
server:

 dn: olcDatabase=bdb,cn=config
 olcSuffix: ou=mail,dc=UGent,dc=be