Re: portable.h contents in back-monitor (Was: [Fwd: commit: ldap/servers/slapd/back-monitor...)

At 10:13 AM 1/12/2006, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 10:00 -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>
>> But overall, I do think it's worthwhile.  Support engineers
>> are better off just building a new system based upon
>> what the slapd.conf needs are.  Relying on portable.h
>> details is dangerous as they simply don't encompass all
>> of the necessary details, such as those passed to the
>> build tools compiler via flags and/or environmental
>> variables, and, of course, what the actual build tools
>> were.
>
>What I think is desirable in back-monitor is essentially some indication
>of the variables associated to --with-* and --enable-* switches,
>including those that were not used but whose value was computed (auto).

For this, I think it might be better to have some list
of 'capabilities' (for lack of better word) compiled into
the code, constructed using #ifdefs.  For instance

char *capabiities[] = {
#if LDAP_SLAPI
        "SLAPI",
#endif
#if WITH_CYRUS_SASL
        "SASL Cyrus"
#elif WITH_BUILTIN_SASL
        "SASL builtin"
#endif
 NULL };

and then publish these via cn=monitor (or the root DSE).
(Of course, the capabilities list should be extensible.)

>Other selected parameters could be of use, of course.
>
>For flags passed via environment, build tools and so on, we could print
>the value of relevant vars, like CC, CPP, FLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and
>so.

These can be cat'ed into a string and published.