Re: portable.h contents in back-monitor (Was: [Fwd: commit: ldap/servers/slapd/back-monitor...)

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 10:00 -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> But overall, I do think it's worthwhile.  Support engineers
> are better off just building a new system based upon
> what the slapd.conf needs are.  Relying on portable.h
> details is dangerous as they simply don't encompass all
> of the necessary details, such as those passed to the
> build tools compiler via flags and/or environmental
> variables, and, of course, what the actual build tools
> were.

What I think is desirable in back-monitor is essentially some indication
of the variables associated to --with-* and --enable-* switches,
including those that were not used but whose value was computed (auto).

Other selected parameters could be of use, of course.

For flags passed via environment, build tools and so on, we could print
the value of relevant vars, like CC, CPP, FLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and
so.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution