Re: portable.h contents in back-monitor (Was: [Fwd: commit: ldap/servers/slapd/back-monitor...)

FreeBSD can be configured so that the kernel configuration
file will be copied into the kernel so that it can be
subsequently extracted and used.  They basically copies the file
through a sed script into like:
	s/^(.*)$/"$1",/
and then in C file:
	char *config[] =
	#include config-lines
		NULL;

The only use I can think of for wanting portable.h details
is when a new support engineer needs to reverse engineer
someone else's poorly-documented installed system.  For this
purpose, having the details in cn=monitor is unnecessary.

But overall, I do think it's worthwhile.  Support engineers
are better off just building a new system based upon
what the slapd.conf needs are.  Relying on portable.h
details is dangerous as they simply don't encompass all
of the necessary details, such as those passed to the
build tools compiler via flags and/or environmental
variables, and, of course, what the actual build tools
were.

Kurt