Re: slapadd -q (quick mode)

Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:
><h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:
> slapadd -q has been entirely safe for me as long.  The point of that
> paragraph is that if you kill slapadd, or an error occurs during the
> slapadd, you will need to wipe the database and start over.  Apart from
> that, it is completely safe. ;)

OK, then I suggest making its description a little less scary:-)

>> Second, I'd like this option to be split: Assuming -q is safe to use
>> when creating a database from scratch which will be deleted if slapadd
>> fails, I'd like to turn off database checking but turn on LDIF checking.
>> I suppose that would mean adding either an option which checks the LDIF
>> despite -q, or an option which only turns off database checking and not
>> LDIF checking.
>
> I disagree.  Slapadd -q as it is now can still be used safely with -c,
> which is entirely sufficient.

That's another issue.  -c says what to do when an error is detected.
I'm suggesting better control over which error detection to disable.

> slapadd -q was added because of research done on how and why large
> database loads took forever, and adding new checks to make it take
> even longer are entirely counter intuitive.

I was not suggesting any new checking.  I'm talking about better
control over which checking to disable.  -q disables both database
checks and LDIF checks, I want the option of disabling only database
checks.  Maybe someone else could have use for a way to disable only
LDIF checks, if they trust their LDIF but need database checking.

Though actually I would like an option for more LDIF error checking
too: Adding whatever check ldapadd does which is convenient to add
to slapadd, including a "verify" function in overlays like "unique",
to be called for each entry after the database is built and indexed.

--
Hallvard