Re: back-config design considerarions - Admin Guide fodder

--On Thursday, July 28, 2005 1:46 PM -0700 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
 --On Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:07 PM +0200 Michael StrÃder
 <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:
> Quanah, I do see all the advantages of slapd.conf mentioned above.
> But I also see the issues with inconsistencies and user confusion.
> Arent' you then questioning usefulness of back-config in general?

 No, not at all.  I already intend to use it on my production systems.
 However, for doing a wide range of testing where I can make immediate
 changes and restart the server with a new version of slapd.conf, no,
 I don't intend to use it.

You realize, of course, that the whole point to back-config is that it allows making immediate changes without needing to restart the server.

Of course. But its much easier to document a given tests configuration through a file which is quite explicit in format. The point isn't just to make modifications and keep going. It is to have an easily documented configuration that I can attach to various tests and their results. And sometimes a point of the tests is to restart the server. I think having tests that use back-config and change options on the fly is also a valid pursuit I wish to tackle. But a separate one.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer