Re: (ITS#3748) back-config: creating a new database requires restarting slapd

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 10:45, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> [suggest we keep this discussion on -devel while it boils down :)]
>
> > Currently it doesn't seem to be possible to create and use a new
> > database (bdb
> > or whatever) without restarting the server. Is that correct?
> > If I understand things correctly backend_startup_one() should to be
> > called after
> > an "olcDatabase"-entry was added. But currently bconfig doesn't
> > seem to provide
> > hooks for that. Am I correct with that or did I miss something?
>
> I haven't checked with back-bdb and about backend_startup_one() hooks
> in bconfig, but I've been able to create a back-ldap from an empty
> slapd.conf recently,. just:
>
> database        config
> rootpw          secret
>
> I guess the same is possible for back-bdb although I haven't treid
> lately.
Yes that is possible with back-bdb as well (assuming the directory
exists with the correct permissions). The only remaining problem is
that the database doesn't startup correctly after its config is created
in back-config. To make the database usable you need to restart slapd
once after creating the "olcBdbDatabase"-Entry.

--
regards,
	Ralf