Re: More granular privileges in ACLs (Was: (ITS#3625) [enhancement] per-operation ACLs)

I think we need to be careful of too fine of privileges.  The
distinctions will become to subtle for folks to grasp, and
unnecessarily complex to implement.

While it seems to me that all we need to do is divide write
into add and delete, doing that is somewhat problematic when
you consider modify/replace.  Having finer grainer permissions
may lead to a need to do the permission check with knowledge
of the entry's contents and the effect of the modify/replace.
Today that the check is done without regard to the entry's
contents, I suggest it stay that way.  Can we live with
modify/replace with no values requiring delete permission
and modify/replace with values requiring both delete and add
permissions.

I see that you talk of both value and entry permissions.
We already have separation of entry add/delete from attribute
add/delete from value add/delete.  I don't think we need
another way to distinguish entry v. attribute v. value
permissions.

I see no reason to split "manage" (manage the DSA IT), at
least not yet.

Also, "auth" means permission to use information in authentication
and authorization processes.  It is neither a permission to
authenticate nor permission to assume an identity.  Of course,
not having permission to use a piece of information in authentication
and authorization process can lead to permission not being granted
for these or other actions.  I don't see any particular need to
split it.

Now, one area not discussed here is the separation of real and
effective permissions.  That is, at present, we do everything
based on the user's effective authorization identity.  It would
be nice to base decisions on the user's real authorization
identity as well.  Howard and I bounced around some ideas in this
area (namely adding realdn, realself, realgroup by parameters,
or the like).

Kurt