Re: logfile directive and timestamps (was: redirect / disable logging)

Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:
>--On Monday, March 14, 2005 11:45 PM +0100 Hallvard B Furuseth
><h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:
>> (...)
>> I'd like a slapd.conf option to:
>>
>> - log directly to a file in order to avoid the overhead with
>>   communication with the syslog daemon,
>>
>> - allow buffered output to the file instead of line by line output,
>> (...)
>
> Interesting idea, but the write overhead is going to be a hit no
> matter how you handle it.

Two hits can be avoided:  Syslog's line buffering to the log file,
and the communication with the syslog process.

> At least on linux, you can use asynchronous
> logging.  In some testing I did, I found that there was no difference
> between loglevel 0 and loglevel 256 when asynchronous syslog was used.

Thanks, I didn't know about asynchronous logging.  Will try when I have
time to set up a test machine where I can risk running slapd+syslog into
the ground.

BTW, anyone got a test program which bombards slapd with configurable
search requests and has some fantasy about varying search parameters and
how many outstanding requests and connections to have at the same time?

--
Hallvard