Re: back-config

Overall this makes sense to me. Then instead of pointing slurpd at a config file, one would invoke it with an LDAPuri like
ldap://localhost:<port>/cn=replog,olcDatabase={1}bdb,cn=config??sub
or ... cn=replog,olcDatabase={0}frontend,cn=config??sub

I note that our back-ldif implementation (which still needs to be submitted to ITS) stores one entry per filesystem file, so one might also use
file:///path/to/config/dir/cn=config/olcDatabase={1}bdb/cn=replog

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

I think replication in general might need some reordering; asn long as we
intend to keep slurpd around, we need to identify what's key to
replication:

So, I think it would be good to have a separate entry for: "replica",
"syncrepl", "replog", each containing the appropriate data as attributes:

"replica":
- uri (I'd drop the "host" option, since an hostport can always be written
as a URI)

Yes, I've pretty much done that - a "host" option on input is emitted as a URI.

- bindmethod
- binddn
- cred
- ...

"syncrepl":
- uri
- ...

"replog":
- replogfile
- slurp-argfile
- slurp-pidfile

The presence of a (unique) "shadow" entry as child of a database could
indicate it's shadowed; if the type is "syncrepl", it means it's a
syncrepl consumer, otherwise only the "updateref" and "updatedn" fields
should be allowed.

The presence of a (unique) "syncprov" entry a child of a database could
indicate it's a syncrepl producer;

The syncprov overlay object already appears as a child of the database, that doesn't seem to need any changing.

the presence of a (unique) "replog"
entry as child of a database could indicate it's a slurpd master; the
presence of (multiple) "replica" entries as children of the "replog" entry
would store each replica's data.

Except this doesn't reflect the current implementation, where a single replog object (the global one) would logically be the parent of many per-database replica objects. That disconnect needs to be addressed.