Re: commit: ldap/servers/slapd backend.c controls.c

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

Mmmmh, if a control is not listed there, we wouldn't even get to backend_check_controls() because likely there wouldn't be a parser for that control,

Yes, but...

so the check would always succeed.

No, because we'd check the backend and the frontend to see if one or the other was willing to service the control. If neither was willing, we'd return unwillingToPerform. That is, when I said "checking the list" above, I mean "checking to see if the frontend services that control."

It is my understanding that as soon as a control is registered it appears in the list of supported controls that is related to the frontend (i.e. the latter is the same as the list of known controls the rootDSE advertizes).

At least, by adding a supported control to all databases, a global overlay commits to serving it.

A global overlay could simply register the control as being serviced by the frontend. Or, to put it another way, we change rename SLAP_CTRL_FRONTEND to be SLAP_CTRL_GLOBAL (frontend or global overlay).

This already happens; but I had to propagate the registration to all databases to make it work...

p.