Re: uniqueness of overlays for a database

My question is not well-posed.  It should be clear that as soon as another
instance of the same overlay is pushed onto the overlay stack of a
database, this will intercept all the configuration directives of that
overlay type.  As such, the earlier instances will be unreachable.  This
is not a problem per se: I could well use

suffix "dc=com"
# ...
overlay rwm
rewriteEngine on
rewriteContext default
rewrite "(.+,)?c=IT$" "\1c=US" "@:"
rewriteContext searchEntryDN
rewrite "(.+,)?c=IT$" "\1dc=com" "@:"

# ...
overlay rwm
rewriteEngine on
rewriteContext default
rewrite "(.+,)?dc=com$" "\1c=IT" "@:"
rewriteContext searchEntryDN
rewrite "(.+,)?c=US$" "\1c=IT" "@:"

to map from "dc=com" to "c=IT" and then from "c=IT" to "c=US", i.e.
concentrate all the directives below the appropriate "overlay rwm"
directive, but I don't really see the need.  So I guess a uniqueness check
should be advisable, and uniqueness should be enforced by default.  My
only concern is about the opportunity to allow exceptions.

p.