Re: commit: ldap/clients/tools ldapsearch.c

> Howard Chu wrote:
>>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>>
>>> I'm presently thinking it better to lower the effective limit
>>> to the hard limit instead of treating the too high limit
>>> request as an (adminLimitExceeded or like) error.
>>
>> Doesn't that sort of negate the purpose of the AdminLimitExceeded error
>> code then?
>
> Would it be hard to set the limit to the minimum of the client-specified
> and the hard limit, and return sizeLimitExceeded or adminLimitExceeded
> depending on which limit is active?

Not too hard, but, yes, complicate.  I need to store
in the Operation structure (ors_slimitErr, ors_tlimitErr?)
the error code to be returned in case either of the limits
is hit.  Currently, the value requested by the client is
turned into the most appropriate value in ors_slimit, ors_tlimit,
so that both the backend and the frontend when sending results
have no knowledge of the difference between the requested
and the applicabel limits.

Your suggestion seems to make sense, though.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it