Re: DN with semicolon does not work

> At 01:22 PM 5/6/2004, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>>The error is in back-bdb/cache.c:339 where a DN is "naively"
>>explored stopping at a DN_SEAPARTOR();
>
> Exploring normalized or unnormalized DN?  The latter should
> never be natively explored.

normalized, but explored with an inappropriate test; see below.

>>the ';' is a valid
>>rdn separator, and, even in normalized mode, it is not escaped.
>>I see two solutions: use LDAPDN routines to run thru the DN,
>>or always expair escape ';' in DN.
>
> In normalized DNs, the semis in values should be hex escaped
> and the RDN separator should be a comma.

That's what I mean with "naive"; the DN_SEPARATOR() macro was probably
intended as a generic macro and not to be used for that purpose.  I
suggest properly escaped semicolons to be left in "pretty" form; it is
guaranteed that a normalized DN will only use commas as rdn separators.
The ndn exploration in back-bdb should be done with LDAP_DN_RDN_SEP() as
defined in libraries/libldap/getdn.c (moved to an appropriate header as
well as those macros that should not be deemed private) instead of
DN_SEPARATOR() as defined in slap.h, which is inappropriate for a
normalized DN.

p.