RE: Overlays configuration (Was: commit: ldap/ configure)

Mmmmh, I guess I stated it badly; I'm treating enable-backends=no
to turning all backends to "no"; this should only be used in
conjunction with enable-<somebackend>=yes.  If more than one defaults
to yes, or if we add "auto" (which I encourage), then someone could
desire: disable all those that default to "yes" or "auto", except those
that are explicitly enabled.

> Then, enable-backends=yes in light of this discussion would mean set all
> default-no backends to auto,yes, and enable-backends=mod would mean turn
> all default-yes and default-no backends to mod.
>
> Does that follow?

More or less, yes.  This would be exactly the opposite of "=no", i.e.
enable all those that would default to no.  The important distinction, is
that those enabled by enable-backends should be build only if possible.
I.e., if I don't have libiodbc installed, and I enable all backends, I
don't want the build to fail because back-sql cannot be built.  I simply
want it to be skipped (maybe with a warning) but all else be built.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it