RE: Proxycache Documentation - again , . . . .

Howard,

You are right in your doubt if it is worthwhile to maintain a more
sophisticated cache, or precaching. All these things come obviously at a
certain cost. I think that the only person who can answer this question is
the administrator of the cache.

Understand where I am trying to go ?

Every directory installation is different, and therefore requirements are
also. It may happen that a cache is absolut useless, inasmuch the majority
of queries are so different from each other that you may have the same query
once a week . . . . . On the other hand it may also happen that you have the
same query or a contained query several times a minute.

What if the admin of the ldap proxy could configure the server in a way to
fit best the actual needs ?

For example if he could choose between
A) query containtment as implemented now, or
B) query containment matching also for subsets of the previous cached
results.

In such a way the administrator has to understand if the overhead caused by
a more sophisticated query containment manager costs to much or if it pays
off the benefit he hopes to have. Remain to understand however if there's a
chance that someone opts for the second possibility, I admit, that's
unclear.

Cheers
Reinhard