Re: HEADS UP: -llber/-lldap sonames changes

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 03:17:57PM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> and for 2.2.8 (when its released, assuming a compatible interface
> change):
>   dlname='liblber-2.2.so.7'
>   library_names='liblber-2.2.so.7 liblber-2.2.so liblber.so'
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I never saw such a weird naming scheme before.

May I suggest a look at the Library-howto?
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html#AEN46
(3.1.1. Shared Library Names)

Basically, in this case, we would have:

libldap.so (devel library) is a link to
libldap.so.2.2 (the soname) which is a link to
libldap.so.2.2.7

I realize openldap is not linux specific, so the above may not apply directly,
it's just a suggestion.

You are, of course, free to call it whatever you want, I'll just follow
whatever comes from upstream. But since you asked for comments... ;)