RE: overlay and failover

When an overlay is configured on a backend, that backend's bd_info points to
a slap_overinfo structure. The slap_overinfo contains a field oi_list which
is a linked list of slap_overinst structures, one entry per active overlay on
that backend. As you already noted, the slap_overinst structures are placed
in op->o_bd->bd_info when each overlay is invoked. (Here, op->o_bd is a local
copy of the original op's o_bd so it can be changed at will.)

When you want to make a call into slapd from an overlay, you must restore the
original slap_overinfo in op->o_bd->bd_info first. This is always pointed to
by the on_info field in the current slap_overinst.

E.g.

int some_overlay_func(Operation *op, SlapReply *rs)
{
	slap_overinst *on = (slap_overinst *)op->o_bd->bd_info;
	Entry *e;
	int rc;
	op->o_bd->bd_info = (BackendInfo *)on->on_info;
	rc = be_entry_get_rw( op, &op->o_req_ndn, NULL, NULL, 0, &e );
}

The current approach means, of course, that you should not call a function
that will wind up re-invoking the current overlay function, otherwise it will
loop until the stack overflows.