OpenLDAP and Cyrus, version question

Hi all. I'm building OpenLDAP with SASL support = and I want to package everything. I'm working on Digital UNIX 4.0D The main problem I face now is that = OpenLDAP is locket to the exact version of SASL (2.1.17). In the future, I would = like to be able to upgrade SASL, when a revision comes along. I know what to hack = in OpenLDAP sources to check only for SASL_MAJOR and = SASL_MINOR. Is there a problem with this = idea? Is there a particular reason OpenLDAO = should be locked to a particular MAJOR, MINOR, PATCH versions of = SASL? Nix.