persistent search

I'm running into some limitations in the current implementation of persistent
search, and I plan to move it out of back-bdb and into the frontend (probably
using the overlay mechanism, but internally). One thing the current
implementation lacks is awareness of back-glue subordinates; e.g. I can't
issue a persistent search against the root of a tree and see all the changes
from subordinate backends. Also it appears that I can't issue a persistent
search on just a server's CSN, e.g. to monitor its value as changes are made.
Comments?