Re: New Proxy cache overlay

Howard Chu wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openldap-devel@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-devel@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Pierangelo Masarati

my DN rewrite/ attr mapping overlay is finally working.
I could commit it very quickly (although not finished yet),
but there are a couple of side effects:

I've been thinking that it might make sense to have a rewrite backend. An overlay will modify an existing backend's behavior, so that the original behavior isn't available. This is probably OK for back-ldap/back-meta that are intended to integrate a foreign DIT into a local one. But there's also a desire to provide alternate views into a local DIT, and this is where a rewrite backend is more useful:

database bdb
suffix dc=example,dc=com

database rewrite
suffix o=example.com,c=us
target dc=example,dc=com
<various mapping stuff>

The idea here is that the rewrite backend will accept queries for its own
suffix, and map them to some other backend. This would be the equivalent of
the old suffixalias functionality, plus the rest of the mapping capabilities.
The original tree with its unmapped attributes is still directly accessible.
We can do this right now using back-ldap, but a rewrite backend could just
call the target backend internally.

Sounds good.

In my view this could be a sort of "transparent" backend,
which relays another backend internally, and the rewrite/map
layer is provided by the overlay.

# trivial case (nonsense: never invoked)
database bdb
suffix dc=example,dc=com

database relay
suffix dc=example,dc=com
target dc=example,dc=com

# rewrite case
database bdb
suffix dc=example,dc=com

database relay
suffix o=example.com,c=us
overlay rewrite-remap
suffixmassage o=example.com,c=us dc=example,dc=com

Relaying would be nearly costless.

This allows to have the rewrite stuff finally in just one place,
and add it also to other backends.  I'm mainly concerned with
back-ldap and scripting backends.

In this sense, it could be useful to separate DN rewriting from
attribute mapping, at the cost of requiring two overlays.

Ando.

|   SysNet - via Dossi,8 27100 Pavia Tel: +390382573859 Fax:+390382476497    |