Re: (not) handling multiple wildcard chars?

At 04:27 PM 8/28/2003, Gary LaVoy wrote:
>Whenever a client sends multiple wildcard chars at the end of a search string
>(e.g.: "cn=gary**") the server shows an undefined error in the logs:

The client doesn't send multiple "wildcards"... it sends a
substring assertion consisting an initial substring of "gary"
and an any substring of "" for the attribute CN.

The second substring, "", is invalid per CN's syntax (directoryString),
hence that assertion is Undefined.

>SRCH base="ou=people,o=apple computer" scope=2 filter="(?=undefined)"
>SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=0 nentries=0 text=
>and nothing is returned nor is there an error.

One could argue that no substring should be zero-length and
return protocolError, but I think treating the assertion as Undefined
is more appropriate.

Kurt