LCUP gone?

We've been using LCUP in a beta product that I'm involved with, and since it
was an alpha build, it's crashing quite often under decent load. I wanted
to rebuild it with a newer version with hopefully some bug fixes, but it
seems things have changed, and I can't quite figure out how to get LCUP
turned on again, and I'm unclear if that's because it's been removed, or
I'm just missing something.

I'm assuming it's still only available in the HEAD branch, but as I'm not a
CVS guru:

cvs -z3 checkout -rHEAD -P pkg

If I'm in the wrong place, then let me know :)

Other than that, I'm lost.

I see many references to LCUP in the 2.2.0a code, and even in the 2.1.x
stable code, but don't see any particular place where that can be turned on,
and haven't seen any messages regarding on the archives, but did notice that
LDAP_CLIENT_UPDATE was commented out in include/ldap.h going from
1.185->1.186, and doesn't exist in the HEAD any longer.

Any help or direction would be greatly apperciated.