RE: nonstandard assumptions in the code

K&R C 2nd Edition, p.199 "An object of integral type may be explicitly
converted to a pointer. The mapping always carries a sufficiently wide
integer converted from a pointer back to the same pointer..."

Apparently this is a moot point now that you've axed the back-shell abandon
code.
But as far as I can see, this was a false alarm.