RE: String conversions UTF8 <-> ISO-8859-1

This sounds interesting. It requires a bit of effort to hunt down all the
places where the callback must be inserted; there are a number of nested API
entry points and such to deal with on the send side.

> Something similar was (or is? I can't find it) in the code once but it
> did not provide enough information to handle schema properly.

It was in liblber. Very much the wrong place for it. It was only in 1.x,
removed in 2.0.

> On the charset handling side, most of it should be
> straightforward, the
> biggest work would be to pick apart filters and put the
> modified filters
> together again.  Maybe code for that can be stolen from back-meta.

Also need to tear apart returned search entries and rebuild them, but that
can also be stolen from back-meta.

I suppose it's worth noting that back-ldap was originally intended to do some
of this on the fly; in particular it was intended to allow V2 clients to use
V3 servers and vice versa. That's why I wrote libldap/t61.c. But as V2 is
deprecated I never bothered to finish that.