Re: openldap-2.1.16: what happened to cache.c?

At 09:58 AM 3/20/2003, Andreas wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:10:09PM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>> OpenLDAP 2.1.16 is now available for download as detailed on
>> our download page:
>>   http://www.openldap.org/software/download/
>
>I jumped from 2.1.12 to 2.1.16 and see that the ldap_enable_cache
>function is missing, even though it still has manpages. Any reason
>to break the API like this?

In retrospect, the change likely should have been deferred to 2.2.
Unfornutately the community did not discover the problem during
release engineering process.  At this point, I see little reason
to revert (given the routines have long been broken and hence
deprecated).

>Postfix 2, for example, doesn't compile anymore.

So, instead of breaking at run time, it breaks at compile time.
Some might consider that an improvement... e.g., silent problems
are worse than non-silent problems.

Kurt