RE: back-bdb future

environement cache size was set to a very large value.

Unless there's a bug in BDB, the only reason for this to happen is if the
environment's memory size is too small, and there aren't enough free pages
satisfy all of the search threads at once. In that case, forcing one of the
readers to abort may resolve the situation, and so setting a timeout could
work. I'd be curious to see if db_stat showed you had hit any resource
limits
first.