-----Original Message-----
From: Rozonkiewiecz, Mitchell [mailto:Mitchell.Rozonkiewiecz@ca.com]

It is possible to have LDAP run 100% EBCDIC in USS on z/OS and OS/390

You need to perform EtoA and AtoE as the data is read/written to the
TCP/IP socket.

This allows all config files, schema files, etc to stay in EBCDIC and
not have to play games to work in ASCII in an EBCDIC world.

Mitch

-----Original Message----- From: jean-frederic clere [mailto:jfrederic.clere@fujitsu-siemens.com] Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 5:30 AM To: Howard Chu Cc: openldap-devel@OpenLDAP.org; Martin Kraemer Subject: Re: EBCDIC

Howard Chu wrote:

I ported OpenLDAP, OpenSSL, Berkeley DB 4.1, and part of

Cyrus SASL to

OS/390. Aside from Cyrus, all of these packages were fully

functional but

OpenLDAP and OpenSSL operate with ASCII internally. In addition to

using

IBM's libascii, I wrote stdio stubs to handle ASCII/EBCDIC

translation for

parsing commandline args, reading config files, and writing

log files. These

are the only interfaces between the software and the host OS that

needed

work, given the presence of libascii.

I already have OpenSSL, Berkeley DB 4.1 and a lot more libraries prepared to use EBCDIC APIs. I do not think I will be able to have a special ASCII version of those for OpenLDAP.

A lot of what I went thru is in the FAQ-o-Matic now

The slapd that I built with this approach interoperates

correctly with any

other LDAP server or client, does not need to do character-set

translation in

the protocol transactions, and thus has no performance degradation

compared

to a native server.

I am not able to locate in the CVS the modifications you describe in the

FAQ-o-Matic. How could I get them?

If you need to build a slapd that uses EBCDIC strings in

the protocol layer,

you're not talking LDAP. That is not worth any further discussion

here.

That is not what I need.

If you need to use libldap from other applications, and they're

passing in

EBCDIC strings, you have a lot of hard work ahead of you. Since the

client

library doesn't have ready access to the schema, you don't have an

easy way

of identifying binary values that must be left unmodified, vs string

values

that should be translated.

I am afraid that what I have to do.

By the way, I am putting together a small presentation on the OS/390

port for

the OpenLDAP Developer Day conference on March 21. Perhaps we can

discuss

more of the issues there.

Would be nice but I am based in Europa.