From: jean-frederic clere [mailto:jfrederic.clere@fujitsu-siemens.com]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 5:30 AM
To: Howard Chu
Cc: openldap-devel@OpenLDAP.org; Martin Kraemer
Subject: Re: EBCDIC

Howard Chu wrote:
> I ported OpenLDAP, OpenSSL, Berkeley DB 4.1, and part of Cyrus SASL to
> OS/390. Aside from Cyrus, all of these packages were fully functional
but
> OpenLDAP and OpenSSL operate with ASCII internally. In addition to
using
> IBM's libascii, I wrote stdio stubs to handle ASCII/EBCDIC translation
for
> parsing commandline args, reading config files, and writing log files.
These
> are the only interfaces between the software and the host OS that
needed
> work, given the presence of libascii.

I already have OpenSSL, Berkeley DB 4.1 and a lot more libraries
prepared to use
  EBCDIC APIs. I do not think I will be able to have a special ASCII
version of
those for OpenLDAP.

> A lot of what I went thru is in the FAQ-o-Matic now
> http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/719.html
>
> The slapd that I built with this approach interoperates correctly with
any
> other LDAP server or client, does not need to do character-set
translation in
> the protocol transactions, and thus has no performance degradation
compared
> to a native server.

I am not able to locate in the CVS the modifications you describe in the

FAQ-o-Matic. How could I get them?

> If you need to build a slapd that uses EBCDIC strings in the protocol
layer,
> you're not talking LDAP. That is not worth any further discussion
here.

That is not what I need.

> If you need to use libldap from other applications, and they're
passing in
> EBCDIC strings, you have a lot of hard work ahead of you. Since the
client
> library doesn't have ready access to the schema, you don't have an
easy way
> of identifying binary values that must be left unmodified, vs string
values
> that should be translated.

I am afraid that what I have to do.

> By the way, I am putting together a small presentation on the OS/390
port for
> the OpenLDAP Developer Day conference on March 21. Perhaps we can
discuss
> more of the issues there.

Would be nice but I am based in Europa.