Re: back-bdb slapadd

Howard Chu writes:
> It is potentially slower now, since it does a dn2id lookup on each DN, before
> assigning an ID to a new entry. I suspect this difference is trivial, but it
> bears mentioning.

Would it be faster to try to add the entry the old way, and only use
your way if the add fails due to a missing parent?

> For an unsorted file, there is the potential to leave "holes" in the
> database - it may create a parent node in the dn2id index, but the LDIF input
> might not supply the actual parent entry. There is no detection of this
> condition,

The database could remember the IDs/DNs of such holes from they are
added that way and until they are "filled" properly.  Slapadd could fail
if any holes are left when done.

> and a subsequent attempt to ldapadd the missing parent would fail
> with "DN already exists" or somesuch.

Does any code in back-bdb assume that if an ID exists, the entry exists?

--
Hallvard