question on where to expire entries in server code

Greetings,

I'm working though the slapd source (2.1.5 for the moment) and
am trying to decide the best place to expire directory entries
based on the modifyTimeStamp attribute (after so many seconds or
what not).

The reason is that i'm using openldap to hold publishing information
for current devices installed on the network.  A device is responsible
for periodically refreshing its entry somehow.

Initially i thought that doing this in the bdb backend would be best,
but then considered that if it was implemented as an ldap control
on a search request, then it should be done above the backend
interface.  Any thoughts on this?  Am I moving in what would seem to a
sane direction?  Has this already been done some other way that i've
missed?

Not that this is all for research and curiousity....

Thanks in advance.

cheers, jerry