Re: Proxy cache extension for OpenLDAP

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 06:09:52PM +0530, Apurva Kumar wrote:

> 1) adding an entry without a parent.

How about adding parent entries as necessary but leaving them empty or
marking them as incomplete/invalid so that the cache does not try to
use the data that it has not actually fetched? The tree held in the
cache database will then be structurally correct. You might still have
to bypass checks for the presence of objectClass or other
mandatory attributes though.

> 2) deleting an entry with children (without deleting the children).

Mark the entry as incomplete/invalid but leave it there as a hook to
hang the subtree on.

> 3) making a search with the search base not in the cache.

The only way I can think of to handle that cleanly would be to have
NULLDN as the root of the cache tree so that every search base falls
inside it by definition. You might even be able to set up several cache
databases with some handling specific search bases and one 'fallback'
database to catch all the rest.

Andrew