Re: gentlehup

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 02:45:55AM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:

> The other reason I went here was to allow the creation of a back-config
> backend
> that provides an LDAP interface to slapd.conf.

Is this perhaps an opportunity to think about moving all the config
data into the DIT itself? Initial config could either be defaulted to
a get-you-started set, or could be loaded with slapadd.

Parsing is then largely down to the LDIF reader (though the semantics
of each item need to be checked somewhere, so working through LDAP
would be preferred).

It would be necessary to have enough command-line parameters to allow
SLAPD to locate the database holding the config DIT, but after that
everything could be done through protocol. This would make the
provision of 'black box' LDAP servers easier (just start a standard
process on some box, and allow it to be configured remotely)

Andrew
|        Andrew.Findlay@skills-1st.co.uk       +44 1628 782565        |