RE: proxy authentication

Yes, this will work. We would have to do something clever about
selecting the mechanisms, but it wouldn't be much different from
the way the current slap_auxprop plugin is initialized. We could
get DIGEST-MD5 working easily. Stronger mechs would be more problematic,
Kerberos IV can't be proxied this way because the tickets include
client and server IP addresses. GSSAPI/K5 may or may not work...
I don't think there's any way to make EXTERNAL work without giving
the private key to the proxy server.