RE: SASL LDAP plugin

I had briefly considered this but didn't carry the thinking out as far as
you seem to have gone. But yes, we still have the problem of directing the
binds to the right server, and it still doesn't answer the question of how
to retrieve any other auxiliary attributes that a SASL-enabled server might
want. I don't have any objection to funneling every SASL login into a single
server. That's actually the desired goal, as I see it:

    SMTP\
    IMAP-->--SASL-->ldapi-->slapd-->back-ldap - - (TLS?) - -> auth server
slapd
    POP3/
    etc.

(Of course, "auth server" can be replicated as needed...)