RE: IDL management in idl.c

I've been meaning to check into that, it should be possible to uncover the
problem with a smaller dataset just by setting the BDB_IDL_DB/UM_SIZE much
smaller.

> How about the dynamic management of multiple
> small-to-moderate-sized IDLs ?
> If we delare IDL as 'ID** ids;' and allocate ids[k] by BDB_IDL_DB_SIZE
> chunk upon an overflow,
> then the size of IDLs can be very large upon demand.

That starts to sound like the IDL management used in back-ldbm. I didn't
create the scheme used in back-bdb but at a guess, the current design is
aimed at doing something simpler than back-ldbm's multiple IDLs. I've also
thought about whether it would be worthwhile to make this kind of change,
but so far I'm not convinced.

> >On a sidenote, I see that in bdb_idl_delete_key we always assume that
> >deleting from a range is a no-op. Perhaps we should shrink the range if
> the
> >deleted item is either the lo or hi bound of the range? Hm, I guess
> there's
> >a bug here as well in the BDB_IDL_MULTI case, since it always uses a
> cursor
> >to delete the given item. If you delete the lo or hi bound of a
> range, the
> >range item will be "broken". Amazing the things you see after being away
> >from the code for a while.

I've rewritten the bdb_idl_delete_key code to handle ranges properly. I
also did a parallel rewrite of bdb_idl_insert_key so it no longer relies
on bdb_idl_fetch_key. This eliminates 256K of stack requirement in the
bdb_idl_insert_key case.