RE: back-bdb deadlocks

I moved from my SuSE 6 system to a SuSE 7 platform, and it runs to completion,
although very very slowly. There are far too many conflicts, many more aborts
than commits. So I guess part of the problem is glibc 2.0.7 (on my SuSE 6
system) is too broken to handle this.

Also, on a distantly related topic, SuSE 7.0 includes glibc 2.1.3, which
provides the pthread_attr_setstacksize() function, but it ignores any values
over the hardcoded 2MB limit. (It takes the min() of the user-specified size
and the hardcoded limit.) This gets thread stack overruns in bdb_search, just
like glibc 2.0.7. I note that configure doesn't explicitly check for the
presence of the pthread_attr_setstacksize() function, I think we need a test
for its presence and for it to behave as desired. I haven't quite figured out a
simple test for the proper behavior.