Syntax functions in client library?

I'd like to see part of the syntax checking that's usually done
in slapd in the client library to make it available to "smart" clients
together with schema stuff that's already there.  This might be
used together with schema collected and parsed from the target server's
subschema subentry, to enforce strict syntax compliance BEFORE write
operations are attempted, to minimize the occurrence of syntax related
failures.  I can work on this as a starting point for a project I'm
working at for my employer.  Comments?

Pierangelo.