RE: where has ber_bvdup() gone?

That's not strictly necessary. All the work can be done in-place
with some minor changes - in ber_get_next, the ber_buf should
be allocated with size ber_len+1 instead of ber_len, to allow
null-termination of the last element. Every preceding element can
be null-terminated by overwriting the following tag. The tag just
needs to be stashed away inside the BerElement before being overwritten,
and ber_peek_tag/ber_skip_tag/ber_get_tag modified accordingly.