Re: subentries (Was: Need new replica configuration without shutting down slapd)

At 09:52 PM 2001-12-18, Ganesan R wrote:
>> Ganesan,
>> I encourage you to read my I-D
>>         draft-zeilenga-ldap-subentry-01.txt
>> available at www.ietf.org.
>
>> X.500 subentries in general approach we need to use to
>> hold and maintain administrative information in the
>> directory.
>
>> In implementing subentries, I suggest with starting with
>> the basic use of mechanism.  The most basic use I know
>> is to support collective attributes.
>>         draft-zeilenga-ldap-collective-03.txt
>
>Okay, I've now read through all the relevant drafts (ldup model, ldup
>information model, ldup subentry etc). Now, I have a problem. I need to add
>entries replicaContextRoots and replicaSubentries to the root
>DSE.

That, I view, as a problem with the LDUP I-Ds.  Mucking with the
RootDSE isn't the way replication areas should be created.  They
should be created by adding a replicaSubentry to the server.  As
replicaSubentries are added, the server should then maintain the
operational attributes in the root DSE and elsewhere.

I suggested you read draft-zeilenga-ldap-subentry-xx.txt and X.501.
I note that the LDUP WG is considering using this and, if so, will
significant change LDUP management procedures.

I note that if we use LCUP for replication, replication subentries
aren't needed.

>Currently, OpenLDAP "creates" a root DSE entry on the fly. I need a
>"real" rootDSE so that an administrative utility can add/modify attributes
>in the rootDSE to modify replica information. How do I go about doing this?

This isn't easy as there is no stable storage associated with
the root DSE.  If things are done right, there doesn't need to
be.

Kurt