back-bdb nextid

It occurs to me that the nextid database is unnecessary; you can simply open
a cursor on the id2entry database with the flag DB_LAST and get the ID of
the last entry. Since the Btree database is sorted, this will be the highest
ID.
Is there any reason to sync this number back to disk all the time? I guess
that allows slapadd to run concurrently with slapd, but shouldn't ldapadd be
used anyway?