Re: TODO list for 2.1

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 11:48:25AM -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> I'd like to get 2.1 out the door later this summer.
> At this point, the biggest thing we need before we
> release 2.1 is updated documentation.  In particular,
> the APIs.  Anyone who has time to update a man page
> or two, please do!

Okay, I should be able to help out a bit I guess.

Can the UNICODE match/index/filter stuff go into 2.1? I think I've
done all that is needed except the approximate stuff. If you see
something that is missing let me know. When it comes to approximate
I need more time to study the algorithm, but for indexing it looks
like it only looks at characters up to the first space or non-ascii
character. I think perhaps the easiest and maybe most sensible
solution for non-ascii characters, is simply to strip them, so that
say Köln is indexed as kln. For Unicode characters with ascii starting
characters (like ö) we could perhaps use the starting characters. In
this case we would then get Koln. But what to do if someone stores
say a string in Japanese where all characters are non-ascii and no
ascii starting characters... Well, I'll give it some thought, but if
you have some thoughts, let me know.

Stig