Re: should one single search be able to encompass several databases?

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 03:53:03PM +0200, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> of course you can't, because if the backend with suffix "dc=test,dc=com"
> comes first, you'll never be able to access the one with suffix
> "dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com", and if the latter comes first you'll be able
> to access it only if you come in straight with a search base
> of "dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com" or higher.  One clean (from the client's side,
> but a bit involved from the server side) chance to get what you're
> looking for is with a back-meta that proxies the two backends.

I know it works that way, my question was more or less whether that is
the behaviour we want. Does any spec say anything about this? The
obvious thing today is of course to put it all in one database or use
a referral.

> See discussions in earlier mails this month
> ( http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200107/msg00125.html
> and the related thread), and read servers/slapd/back-meta/Documentation
> for more detailed hints on how to configure it.

Will check.

Stig