Re: should one single search be able to encompass several databases?

Stig Venaas wrote:

> You create one database with suffix say dc=test,dc=com, and another with
> suffix dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com. If someone does a subtree search with base
> dc=test,dc=com, should the search also be done in the dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com
> database? I think maybe it should,

No. If someone partitions the name space there's a valid reason for
that (or at least should be). Mainly because the name space is
partitioned across physically distributed servers.

> One way to work around this is of course to have a referral for
> dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com in the dc=test,dc=com database. This is possible
> if it is added before configuring the dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com database.

I'm not sure if LDAP clients should really follow search
continuations returned by
ldap://ldap.uninett.no/dc=no??sub?(objectclass=*) ;-)

Ciao, Michael.