how to treat filters with assertion values with bad UTF8?

I noticed that the CVS devel version segfaulted on case insensitive
exact searches with bad UTF8 coding. This is very bad of course. I
just fixed it in CVS. The current fix tries to treat this as if there
were no matches and returns success. This seems correct according to
RFC 2251 which states:

Servers MUST NOT return errors if attribute descriptions or matching
rule ids are not recognized, or assertion values cannot be parsed.
More details of filter processing are given in section 7.8 of X.511

I was wondering if I should perhaps use LDAP_FILTER_ERROR though.

Comments?

Stig