FW: More on {CRYPT} passwords

Sorry, I am re-sending this entire message, but this time I am doing it correctly.
This patch is:
Copyright 2001, F5 Networks, All rights reserved. This software is not subject to any license of F5 Networks. This is free software; you can redistribute and use it under the same terms as OpenLDAP itself.

That statement applies to the patch included below.
Is there any discussion on this patch?  To me it seems useful, and allows clients to use ldappasswd(1) or its corresponding extended operation just a bit easier, especially since a version of crypt that does salted MD5 hashed passwords is available on quite a few systems (all systems if you use the latest version of OpenSSL)