Help please : Error codes and Disconnection

Hello the list,

first I want to apologise if my question seems irrelevant to you or has already been asked. I'm a newby with LDAP and OpenLDAP. I've tried to read as much RFC and drafts on the subject but there is something that is still not completely clear to me :

    what are exactly the error codes which mean it is necessary (or wiser) to reconnect to the LDAP server ?

I am developping (with the OpenLDAP C API) a client process which connects to a LDAP server when it starts, and stays connected till an operator stop. This choice was made for performance reasons to have requests treated faster. So I need to know when I'm disconnected (or when the connection is no more reliable and opening a new one would be safer) in order to connect again to the server and to treat further requests. Since my client is only treating one request at once, I intend to use synchronous calls.

Any help or opinion on this subject will be welcome.