glibc 2.2 problem? (off topic)

I know this is not the right list but I follow this
list regularly. I don't want to subscribe to -software
just so I can ask one question only to unsubscribe
later. Please bear with me this once or flame if you
wish... :)

I am using Redhat 7.0. They suggest upgrading all the
rh7.0 systems to glibc2.2 and gcc 2.96:

http://www.redhat.org/support/errata/rh7-errata-bugfixes.html
 I also had to upgrade to kernel 2.4 to get my DMA
controller working.

When trying to install openldap-release, it refuses to
acknowledge my pthreads. It is installed clear as day
(from ldconfig -v):
    libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread-0.9.so

On a whim, I installed GNU Pth thinking it may work.
This was not recognized either. The RPM installed
files under /usr/ and I re-ran ldc and it too was
recognized by the linker. Why then can Openldap not
see this? I apologize for the dumb question but I have
installed Openldap dozens of times before and never
had this problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

>From configure --with-gdbm:
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking POSIX thread version... final
checking for LinuxThreads pthread.h... yes
checking for GNU Pth pthread.h... no
checking for sched.h... yes
checking for pthread_create in default libraries... no
checking for pthread link with -kthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -mthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -thread... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach -lexc
-lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach
-lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread
-Wl,-woff,85... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread... no
checking for pthread link with -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -threads... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lmach -lexc
-lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lmach
-lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads... no
configure: error: could not link with POSIX Threads
[root@kenya openldap-2.0.7]#