Re: crash: cyrus-imapd -> sasl -> pam -> pam_ldap -> libldap-2.x -> sasl

That seems like a lot of work just to get plain authentication.
Besides the quick (rm sasl_set_alloc call) hack you and others
have suggested, I would suggest moving SASL's PAM code into
pwcheckd.  This would isolate the SASL caller from the SASL
password check mechanism.