String conversion routines in LDAP SDK

We've had requests for routines in the LDAP SDK to convert between Multibyte, Unicode, and UTF-8 strings. Our developers would like a cross-platform way of doing this.

Would OpenLDAP be open to the idea of adding such functionality?   We could supply the coding and documentation for these changes.

Briefly, ANSI C has the routines:
mbtowc - Convert a Multibyte character to a Wide character
wctomb - Convert a Wide characters to a Multibyte character
mbstowcs - Convert a Multibyte string to a Wide char string
wcstombs - Convert a Wide char string to a Multibyte string

We would add routines following the same pattern for Wide-to-UTF8, and Multibyte-to-UTF8. By using the ANSI routines in the implementation of Multibyte-to-UTF8, the code will be easily portable.

We would also like to expose the UTF8 utility functions ldap_utf8_next, ldap_utf8_prev, etc, although perhaps with a different prefix than "ldap_".

Attached is a detailed proposal.

Thanks,

Dave Steck   801-861-5219
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software
www.novell.com